Monday, April 14, 2008

I love the phone. That's where I get my email.

Some of the reading I've done asks the question of why one is attacking a particular research topic. Other people in my class have struggled with the idea of researching something they love vs. something that interests them, and I think this topic falls somewhere in the middle for me. I've realized that I'm a big nerd and that I beat the hell out of Web 2.0 more than a lot of people.

In the past week, I've...


  • Written entries in my 3 different blogs (this one, brianchick.com, and sportsguys.ca)
  • Uploaded 4 videos to youtube and linked to them on blogs and facebook.
  • Administered blogs for 2 other projects, and designed or maintained 8 other websites.
  • Edited entries in the 2 wikis I administer.
  • Bought something on ebay
  • Updated my facebook profile via my phone
  • Collaborated cross country on 2 different writing projects
  • looked at photos on Flickr, but haven't actually posted any because it was a boring week
  • spent whole days on MSN, talking to people in other provinces, countries, and continents
  • took a picture and emailed it via my phone (twice)

Short of Ghandi's "Be the change you want to see in the world," I'd argue that I'm an example of the change that is happening in the world, whether we want it or not. I want to understand it, however, and help others understand it by examining this change, and identifying the issues that are coming with it. There's a clash, no matter how subtle, between the old way and the new way, and I'm going to look at where the lines are drawn and what exactly that means.

Do I love this stuff? Yes. Do I find it interesting? Absolutely.

More importantly though, I think it will cause a major change in the way work gets done. Anticipating that shift now will make for easier adjustments in the future.

No comments: