Friday, April 11, 2008

Alternative Titles

I spent far too long trying to figure out what to call this thing. I was working on a pun with "net-gen" or "age" and trying to tie in computers and technology, and just got frustrated with the corniness of it all and gave up.

So then I started thinking about "My Generation" by The Who. Once I gave it a listen and examined the lyrics, I was really struck by the line "don't try to dig what we all say." I was almost going to try donttrytodig.blogspot, but my inner grammar nerd doesn't like URLs that should have an apostrophe in them. Then I started looking at some of the history behind the song and was going to go with "Shout and Shimmy" which was the B-Side of "My Generation" for its original UK Release, but shoutandshimmy was already a registered blog. The B-Side for the US Release was "Out in the Street" but it didn't have the same ring.

So I went back to the lyrics, and the sensation line jumped out at me. It really sums things up nicely for me though because I honestly believe that the song parallels today's technology environment pretty acurately. We're not trying to cause a big sensation, but the older crowd doesn't quite understand how we do things, and does not know how to grasp the shift in mentality that is taking place.

"I'm just talking about my generation..."

No comments: