Monday, May 12, 2008

Using OS to fight PSSORPGA

MMORPGs - Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games. This is both what we talked about all afternoon, and something I've avoided ever since I was a young boy and decided that I might someday want to meet a real girl and perhaps even touch her. I can pretty much guarantee you that if I had ever decided to play World of Warcraft (WOW) or any such game, I'd still be trying to finish the 11th grade... but I'd be a 900th level wizard troll or something. I would also have a PSSORPGA (Pathetically Serious Solo Online Role Playing Game Addiction).


ps - i'm sorry for the nickelback... truly



Given my current addiction to the regular text and photo internet, my vivid imagination, and my love for fantasy, it's a miracle that I was never swept up in this craze. Frankly, I'm not sure how it avoided me, given the thousands of hours logged at my computer, cruising aimlessly around the Internets. My best guess is something called "Organized Sports."

As far as I can tell OS is just like WOW... We meet in these strange grassy places called "parks" and form different guilds and clans called "teams." Depending on which park you're at and when you've decided to show up, an opposing clan will offer you a challenge in the form of a physical contest. These contests all have different rules, which are agreed upon ahead of time, and overseen by an aged sage known as an "umpire." In the interests of keeping things interesting, many of the oldest and wisest sages are also blind, which makes their ability to oversee any contest simply mindboggling.

Each team has a variety of players, who frequently choose to dress their real-life avatars in matching tunics for the physical challenge. The players are all different sizes and shapes, and depending on how many of these challenges (sometimes called "games" or "matches") they've competed in, skill levels can vary from the very high to the not so high. Those with the highest skill levels or the wisest mind to orchestrate the strategy for that challenge are given titles like "Captain," "All-Star," and "Player of the Game." After the challenge is won or lost, the avatars will sit down in part of this physical world and partake of ale often provided by the guild member whose turn it is that week. They will frequently nurse wounds from battle, and tale great tales from past challenges, when a guild member performed a feat so miraculous that a challenge was won by his skill alone...

After a series of these challenges is complete, the winner of the most challenges is crowned champion and players are awarded points in the areas of pride, skill, and luck. Often awards also come in the form of physical additions a player's avatar, such as a new hat or tunic.

... but then again, I've never actually played WOW, so I can't say for sure if this is anything like it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL ... this is so funny.