Monday, May 5, 2008

LVS - YYZ - CBC - YYZ - YEG

So much has happened since my last post. First of all, I sent in my abstract. Then I went to Vegas for 4 nights, barely slept, and returned home on the Tuesday night red-eye, in time to grab a quick nap and work Wednesday afternoon, then normal days on Thursday and Friday. On Sunday morning at 5:30am Toronto time, I got up, showered, headed to the airport, to catch my 8:10am flight to Edmonton. So after a three time zones in five days, not enough sleep in any of them, I've become convinced that my body hates me, and is genuinely confused.

That being said, today was the first day of school. Our first in person session of 501 with Yuping "Ruby" Mao was more of a getting to know you session, and an airing of everyone's research projects. Suggestions were thrown around, and quite honestly, the topics are far more diverse than I had originally anticipated based on the online discussion. Hearing the class discuss both my project and their own gave me some ideas on how to frame my study, people to talk to, and what kinds of issues to address. Wayne also suggested a book that I plan on picking up(Out of Control by Kevin Kelly)... if only I could read without falling asleep.

The afternoon session of 506, hosted by Stan Ruecker, was equally eye-opening. Stan has a lot of research experience, and specifically U of A experience, and seems like he might be a very useful resource in the completion of the final project. The course is about social networks, but most of the time was spent discussing research projects, ethics, assignments, and later on... blogs.

Blogging is a weird thing for me. Perhaps it's that I like imagining I have an audience, even if nobody reads this. With my personal blog, people tell me from time to time that they visited it, and comment on something in it... and it usually surprises me, entrigues me, and motivates me to keep writing. It happens infrequently, but it's usually enough to keep me going. And now that this has been hyped in class, I feel obligated to deliver raw, unedited, free flowing, typo-filled, braindumps. And I look forward to reading yours too, class. Hmm?

2 comments:

Nancy B said...

Hi Brian,

Just want to say that I'm reading. And that you should do your project on ambient intimacy. Love that idea. (See my blog).

Nancy

Anonymous said...

I'm reading, too. So there. :P